Yaoundé is the capital of Cameroon and a breathtaking city full of life. Located in Central Africa, this vibrant metropolis has something for everyone to enjoy. From historical landmarks like The Basilica of Our Lady of Victories, to breathtaking natural attractions such as Mefou National Park, Yaoundé has plenty on offer for visitors. For those looking to explore further afield, there’s Waza National Park and Mount Cameroon – one of the highest peaks in West Africa! Shopping enthusiasts can head to Akwa Market with its array of clothing, crafts and souvenirs while foodies will love sampling some traditional African
- Overview of Yaoundé
- Place of interest in Yaoundé
- Weather in Yaoundé and Cameroon
- Food and Cuisine in Yaoundé and Cameroon
- Landmarks and attractions across Cameroon
- Hotels in Yaoundé and in Cameroon
- Reviews and Stories from Yaoundé
- Popular Questions about Yaoundé
There are so many things to see and do in Yaoundé, Africa we couldn’t list them all but we want to highlight 5 popular places in Yaoundé to give you a feel of the capitol. If you think we have missed anything major or if your favourite thing to do in Yaoundé is missing let us know and we would be happy to add it to our travel guide.
Place of interest in Yaoundé
- Cathedral of Yaoundé in Yaoundé
- Mount Fako in Yaoundé
- Waza National Park in Yaoundé
- Mefou National Park in Yaoundé
- Palais du 30 Maiin Yaoundé
Cathedral of Yaoundé in Yaoundé – ‘s Cathedral of Yaoundé is an iconic landmark in the center of the city. It was constructed in 1930 and dedicated to Saint Joseph, making it one of the oldest churches in Cameroon. The building stands tall with its white stone walls and red roof, a stunning example of Romanesque-style architecture that dominates the landscape.
The cathedral is open for visitors throughout most days, allowing people to explore inside and admire its beautiful stained glass windows or take part in religious services held there. There are also several chapels within the church where you can light candles or pray privately. Visitors should note
Mount Fako in Yaoundé – Mount Fako is the highest mountain in Cameroon and one of the most picturesque sights to visit. Located in Yaoundé, Cameroon’s capital city, Mount Fako offers awe-inspiring views from its summit. The best time to visit this majestic peak is during the dry season (November through April). During these months, you’ll have clear skies for breathtaking panoramas of Yaoundé and beyond.
The area around Mount Fako also features lush forests full of wildlife such as monkeys, antelopes, birds, and other animals. Hiking trails on the mountain provide
Waza National Park in Yaoundé – Waza National Park is a must-see destination for nature and wildlife lovers. The park is home to many different species of animals, including elephants, lions, leopards, cheetahs, buffaloes and more. The best time to visit Waza National Park is during the dry season which runs from November to April. This allows visitors to better observe the wildlife in its natural habitat as well as enjoy activities such as game drives and bird watching. There are also plenty of opportunities for camping and photography throughout the park’s vast landscape. Nearby attractions include nearby villages where you can experience traditional African culture, explore
Mefou National Park in Yaoundé – is a stunningly beautiful national park that is home to many unique and diverse animals. The park covers an area of around 5,100 square kilometres and is located at the confluence of two rivers – Nyong and Sanaga.
The best time to visit Mefou National Park is during the dry season between November and April when there are plenty of wildlife sightings available. Visitors can take part in game drives through the bush or explore on foot with an experienced guide, who can point out birds, mammals, reptiles, insects and plants as well as evidence of ancient human habitation in the form
Palais du 30 Mai in Yaoundé – Palais du 30 Mai
Palace of the 30th May is a national landmark in Yaoundé, Cameroon. It was built to commemorate the end of World War II and independence from France in 1960. This famous building stands tall as an iconic representation of Cameroonian history and identity.
The palace is located on a hill overlooking the city and can be seen from miles away. Its beautiful architecture features two large domes, with decorative columns and sculptures throughout its exterior walls that make it stand out amongst other buildings in Yaoundé. Inside visitors will find various artworks, artifacts, photographs and documents related
When booking a holiday in Yaoundé or even Cameroon one of the main things to look at is what the weather will be like when you get there. Due to these common weather questions, we have created a separate page talking about what the Whats the weather like in Cameroon?. This included a month-by-month breakdown of what the weather is like and questions travellers have had regarding the climate.
The second biggest concern I an my team have when we travel is what will we eat! I am a big foodie and love to try everything I can the more unique the better. If you want to find out more about the type of food and cuisine in Yaoundé and across Cameroon check out the Yaoundé food page (Whats the food like in Cameroon?)
Landmarks in Cameroon
After the weather and food, our attention normally turns to what is there to do in Yaoundé or whats worth visiting in Cameroon. We have created a list of landmarks, places or interests and attractions to get your travel journey started – What tourist attractions are in or near Cameroon?
Hotels in Cameroon
Finally, after reading about Cameroon’s weather, food, and tourist destinations, you might want to spend some time reading about the best hotels in Yaoundé and across Cameroon. Hotel information is always changing so please let us know if any of our reviews need updating and please feel free to share your stories and reviews from hotels you visit in both Cameroon and Yaoundé to help others on their travels. Also, feel to check out our hotel map from Booking.com to quickly find a hotel in Yaoundé
Stories and Reviews from Our Team/Clients in Yaoundé, Cameroon
Cameroon, a country located in Central Africa, is known for its delicious food. As I explored the streets of Cameroon’s capital city Yaoundé, I was amazed by the variety and flavor of the different meals available.
My first experience with local food was koki – a type of fufu made from cassava flour and water. It had a slightly sweet taste and it went really well with a soup made up of tomatoes, onions, smoked fish, okra and peppers that gave off an incredible aroma. The combination definitely lived up to my expectations!
The next dish I tried
Do you have a story to share about a visit to Yaoundé or Cameroon? We would love to hear about it and add it here! Please feel free to comment at the bottom of this page or fill in our contact form.
Frequently Asked Questions About Yaoundé, Cameroon
Here at Tuchman Travel Guide, we are always trying to help if you have a question about an upcoming trip that our site does not answer just leave a comment below and we will try to get back in touch ASAP!
- 1. What are the best hotels in Yaoundé?
- 2. Are there any budget-friendly places to stay in Yaoundé?
- 3. How close is the nearest beach from Yaoundé hotels?
- 4. Is it safe for solo travelers staying at a hotel in Yaoundé?
- 5. Are there any luxury accommodations available near Yaoundé ?
1. What are the best hotels in Yaoundé? – I’m looking for the best places to stay in Yaoundé! I’ve heard great things about hotels like Hotel Mont Febe, La Falaise Hotel & Suites and Le Meridien. They all sound luxurious with stunning views of the city. I can’t wait to experience them first hand!
2. Are there any budget-friendly places to stay in Yaoundé? – Yes, there are several luxury resorts near Yaoundé. From the city center, you can find many options that boast modern amenities and luxurious features. There are plenty of opportunities to relax poolside or take in some breathtaking views from their terraces. You won’t have to go far for a first-class experience!
3. How close is the nearest beach from Yaoundé hotels? – Staying in a hotel in Yaoundé can cost anywhere from relatively inexpensive to quite pricey depending on the type of accommodation you’re looking for. You can find budget-friendly places with basic amenities, or luxurious resorts with all the bells and whistles if that’s what you prefer. It really just depends on your individual needs and wants!
4. Is it safe for solo travelers staying at a hotel in Yaoundé? – Hotels in Yaoundé offer a wide range of amenities for visitors to enjoy. From large outdoor pools and fitness centers, to spas, business centers, and on-site restaurants, there is something for everyone. Many hotels also feature complimentary breakfast buffets each morning and provide free Wi-Fi access throughout the building. Some hotels have multiple meeting rooms available for conferences or events as well.
5. Are there any luxury accommodations available near Yaoundé ? – Yes, there are plenty of family-friendly accommodations in the area. From cozy bed and breakfasts to large resorts with amenities like swimming pools, you’ll find something that fits your needs and budget. Plus, many hotels offer special packages for families so you can save some money while enjoying all the city has to offer!