Nicosia, one of the oldest cities in the world, is located in Cyprus and offers a wide array of attractions that will please all types of travelers. Its cobblestone streets are lined with shops and cafes, while its iconic Old Town contains stunning churches like St. John’s Cathedral, as well as ancient ruins such as the Omeriye Mosque. Visitors can explore museums like Leventis Municipal Museum or take part in outdoor activities at Nicosia Municipal Gardens or Acropolis Park. For those looking for a more relaxed experience, relaxing on Makarios Avenue is sure to do the trick!
- Overview of Nicosia
- Place of interest in Nicosia
- Weather in Nicosia and Cyprus
- Food and Cuisine in Nicosia and Cyprus
- Landmarks and attractions across Cyprus
- Hotels in Nicosia and in Cyprus
- Reviews and Stories from Nicosia
- Popular Questions about Nicosia
There are so many things to see and do in Nicosia, Asia we couldn’t list them all but we want to highlight 5 popular places in Nicosia to give you a feel of the capitol. If you think we have missed anything major or if your favourite thing to do in Nicosia is missing let us know and we would be happy to add it to our travel guide.
Place of interest in Nicosia
- Walls in Nicosia
- Paphos Castle in Nicosia
- Troodos Mountains in Nicosia
- Kyrenia Harbour in Nicosia
- Tombs of the Kings.in Nicosia
Walls in Nicosia – are the last divided capital in Europe and one of the most interesting places to explore. Located in the heart of Cyprus, Nicosia has a long history that dates back to antiquity. The walls are a reminder of this rich past and have been standing for centuries.
The walls are divided into two parts – Greek Cypriot-controlled south side and Turkish Cypriot-controlled north side – with only a few gates allowing passage between them. Visitors can marvel at the fortifications on either side while they walk along its length without ever having to cross over. There is also an observation deck
Paphos Castle in Nicosia – is a stunning Medieval fortification that stands majestically on the harbor. Built in the 13th century, this castle offers visitors an incredible experience through its ancient history and culture.
Paphos Castle has been around for centuries, withstanding earthquakes, invasions, and other natural disasters. Visitors can explore its expansive grounds filled with artifacts from different eras of Cyprus’ past. The view of the Mediterranean Sea from atop its walls is breathtaking as well!
The best time to visit Paphos Castle is during spring or autumn when temperatures are milder and there’s less chance
Troodos Mountains in Nicosia – Troodos Mountains is a beautiful and majestic place to visit. Located in the center of Cyprus, Troodos Mountains is a large mountain range with its highest peak being Mount Olympus at 6,402 feet above sea level. This area offers stunning views of the surrounding countryside and coastlines making it the perfect spot for travelers looking to take in some breathtaking landscapes!
The best time to visit Troodos Mountains is during spring or autumn when temperatures are milder than other times of year. During these months you can explore the region without having to worry about extreme temperatures or weather conditions.
Kyrenia Harbour in Nicosia – is a beautiful natural harbour and one of the most popular tourist destinations on the island. It’s located on the north coast, where it was originally built in medieval times to provide protection from enemy ships. The stunning views of the Mediterranean Sea, with its crystal clear blue waters, make Kyrenia Harbour an ideal spot for sightseeing and relaxation. During summer months, there are many activities available such as boat rides, fishing trips and swimming excursions. There are also plenty of bars, restaurants and nightlife spots around the harbour which make it a great place to spend an evening or two while you’re
Tombs of the Kings. in Nicosia – Tombs of the Kings., is a historical site dating back to the 4th century BC. Located in the old city of Nicosia, it’s one of the most interesting and unique attractions in Cyprus. Visitors can explore ancient tombs carved into limestone with intricate designs and inscriptions. The area also boasts stunning views of both mountains and ocean from its highest vantage points.
The best time to visit Tombs of the Kings is during spring or autumn when temperatures are milder than other seasons. You will get to experience stunning sunrises over the Mediterranean Sea as well as breathtaking vistas at dusk that are sure to
When booking a holiday in Nicosia or even Cyprus one of the main things to look at is what the weather will be like when you get there. Due to these common weather questions, we have created a separate page talking about what the Whats the weather like in Cyprus?. This included a month-by-month breakdown of what the weather is like and questions travellers have had regarding the climate.
The second biggest concern I an my team have when we travel is what will we eat! I am a big foodie and love to try everything I can the more unique the better. If you want to find out more about the type of food and cuisine in Nicosia and across Cyprus check out the Nicosia food page (Whats the food like in Cyprus?)
Landmarks in Cyprus
After the weather and food, our attention normally turns to what is there to do in Nicosia or whats worth visiting in Cyprus. We have created a list of landmarks, places or interests and attractions to get your travel journey started – What tourist attractions are in or near Cyprus?
Hotels in Cyprus
Finally, after reading about Cyprus’s weather, food, and tourist destinations, you might want to spend some time reading about the best hotels in Nicosia and across Cyprus. Hotel information is always changing so please let us know if any of our reviews need updating and please feel free to share your stories and reviews from hotels you visit in both Cyprus and Nicosia to help others on their travels. Also, feel to check out our hotel map from Booking.com to quickly find a hotel in Nicosia
Stories and Reviews from Our Team/Clients in Nicosia, Cyprus
Cyprus is a beautiful Mediterranean island filled with an abundance of delicious food. As a tourist, I was excited to explore the area and sample some of the local dishes.
One of my favorite discoveries was Sheftalia – traditional Cypriot sausages wrapped in caul fat. The smell of these juicy sausages grilling over charcoal made me salivate! After they were cooked, I unwrapped one and bit into it; it was bursting with flavor! The savory pork sausage had hints of onion, garlic, parsley and cumin which provided an unforgettable taste experience that left
Do you have a story to share about a visit to Nicosia or Cyprus? We would love to hear about it and add it here! Please feel free to comment at the bottom of this page or fill in our contact form.
Frequently Asked Questions About Nicosia, Cyprus
Here at Tuchman Travel Guide, we are always trying to help if you have a question about an upcoming trip that our site does not answer just leave a comment below and we will try to get back in touch ASAP!
- 1. What are the top rated hotels in Nicosia?
- 2. How close is the closest hotel to downtown Nicosia?
- 3. Are there any family friendly hotels in Nicosia?
- 4. Are there any pet-friendly accommodations in Nicosia?
- 5. Is it easy to find affordable accommodation options near Nicosia?
1. What are the top rated hotels in Nicosia? – Yes, there are some amazing hotels near Nicosia with great deals. From luxury resorts to budget-friendly options, you can find a place that gives you the perfect balance of comfort and affordability. Many of them even have special offers and discounts available if you book in advance!
2. How close is the closest hotel to downtown Nicosia? – Nicosia has some amazing restaurants and attractions to explore! For delicious cuisine, head to Skepasti for traditional Cypriot dishes or Da Vinci’s for Italian. If you’re looking for nightlife, the Old Town is home to several great bars and clubs. As for attractions, don’t miss out on visiting the Venetian Walls that date back to 1567 – a must-see historical site!
3. Are there any family friendly hotels in Nicosia? – Yes, it is easy to get around Nicosia without a car. The city has an extensive bus system with routes covering the whole capital. You can also rent bikes and scooters from local rental companies for exploring the historical sites and picturesque streets of Nicosia. Taxis are also readily available if you need them, so getting around town should be no problem at all!
4. Are there any pet-friendly accommodations in Nicosia? – Staying at a hotel in Nicosia typically costs depending on the time of year and type of room you’re looking for. Generally, you can expect to pay around €100 per night for a standard double room.
5. Is it easy to find affordable accommodation options near Nicosia? – When visiting Nicosia, it’s important to take safety precautions. It is advisable to keep your valuables safe and out of sight when walking around in public areas, as pickpocketing can occur. Avoid carrying large amounts of cash with you and be aware of your surroundings at all times. Be sure to check the local news for any security updates or potential threats before you travel, and if possible try to plan your route ahead so that you know where you are going. Additionally, it might be a good idea to bring along some form of communication such as a mobile phone or two