Accra, Ghana is a vibrant and bustling city filled with culture, history and an abundance of attractions. From the iconic Kwame Nkrumah Memorial Park to the W.E.B Dubois Centre for Pan-African Culture, there are plenty of landmarks that showcase the country’s rich heritage and captivating spirit. Nature lovers will find plenty of beauty in sites such as Labadi Beach or Kakum National Park, while art enthusiasts can explore Aburi Botanical Gardens or Art Museum at KNUST University for its impressive collection of modern African artwork. There are also many shopping centers like Accra Mall where
- Overview of Accra
- Place of interest in Accra
- Weather in Accra and Ghana
- Food and Cuisine in Accra and Ghana
- Landmarks and attractions across Ghana
- Hotels in Accra and in Ghana
- Reviews and Stories from Accra
- Popular Questions about Accra
There are so many things to see and do in Accra, Africa we couldn’t list them all but we want to highlight 5 popular places in Accra to give you a feel of the capitol. If you think we have missed anything major or if your favourite thing to do in Accra is missing let us know and we would be happy to add it to our travel guide.
Place of interest in Accra
- Castle in Accra
- Kwame Nkrumah Memorial Park in Accra
- Makola Market in Accra
- Labadi Beach in Accra
- National Museum of Ghanain Accra
Castle in Accra – The Castle in Accra, Ghana is one of the most iconic landmarks in West Africa. Located on the coast of Ghana, near the bustling city center of Accra, it’s a sight to behold!
This imposing fortress was built by European settlers back in 1652 and has been standing ever since. It’s made up of multiple towers and walls that have stood as a symbol of strength for centuries. Today, visitors can explore this historical landmark with tours offered throughout the day.
The best time to visit The Castle is during late spring or early summer when temperatures are
Kwame Nkrumah Memorial Park in Accra – is a popular attraction for both locals and tourists alike. Located in the heart of the city, this park pays tribute to Ghana’s first president – Kwame Nkrumah. Here you’ll find monuments that commemorate his life, including a giant bronze statue of him sitting atop a black star base. Visitors can also explore the museum which contains various artifacts from his life and legacy.
The best time to visit this park is during dry season (October-March). During these months temperatures are cooler and rainfall is minimal making it ideal for sightseeing. The greenery around the memorial park
Makola Market in Accra – Makola Market is a vibrant and bustling market located in the heart of Accra. It’s known for its abundance of goods, from traditional African clothing to jewelry and electronics. You can also find everything from books to food and drinks here.
The best time to visit Makola Market is during the day when it’s at its liveliest, especially on weekends when you can take advantage of all the hustle and bustle going on around you. There are countless vendors selling their wares, so be sure to bargain with them if possible! The atmosphere at Makola Market is lively and exciting –
Labadi Beach in Accra – is a popular destination for tourists and locals alike. Located along the Atlantic Coast of Ghana, Labadi Beach offers breathtaking views of the ocean and plenty of opportunities to relax in the warm sunshine.
The best time to visit Labadi Beach is during March – October when temperatures are milder and rainfall is less frequent. During these months, visitors can expect an abundance of activities from swimming in crystal clear waters, sunbathing on white sand beaches or taking a boat ride out into the open sea. For those looking for more adventure, there’s also beach volleyball and jet skiing available at certain times
National Museum of Ghana in Accra – National Museum of Ghana is an incredible attraction. Located in the heart of Accra, it houses a vast collection of historical artifacts that tell the story of Ghana’s rich culture and history. The museum is open most days from 9am to 5pm, though there are exceptions on public holidays and special occasions.
The best time to visit the National Museum is during its annual festivals when traditional performances take place and visitors can enjoy art exhibitions, lectures, music concerts and more. There are also guided tours available throughout the year for visitors who want to learn more about Ghanaian culture and heritage.
At the museum
When booking a holiday in Accra or even Ghana one of the main things to look at is what the weather will be like when you get there. Due to these common weather questions, we have created a separate page talking about what the Whats the weather like in Ghana?. This included a month-by-month breakdown of what the weather is like and questions travellers have had regarding the climate.
The second biggest concern I an my team have when we travel is what will we eat! I am a big foodie and love to try everything I can the more unique the better. If you want to find out more about the type of food and cuisine in Accra and across Ghana check out the Accra food page (Whats the food like in Ghana?)
Landmarks in Ghana
After the weather and food, our attention normally turns to what is there to do in Accra or whats worth visiting in Ghana. We have created a list of landmarks, places or interests and attractions to get your travel journey started – What tourist attractions are in or near Ghana?
Hotels in Ghana
Finally, after reading about Ghana’s weather, food, and tourist destinations, you might want to spend some time reading about the best hotels in Accra and across Ghana. Hotel information is always changing so please let us know if any of our reviews need updating and please feel free to share your stories and reviews from hotels you visit in both Ghana and Accra to help others on their travels. Also, feel to check out our hotel map from Booking.com to quickly find a hotel in Accra
Stories and Reviews from Our Team/Clients in Accra, Ghana
Ghana is a beautiful country, and one of the best parts about visiting is the incredible food. As soon as I arrived, I knew that this was going to be an amazing trip!
The first dish I tried was a traditional Ghanaian favorite – jollof rice with chicken. It’s made from tomatoes, onions, peppers and spices cooked in oil along with basmati or long grain rice. The flavors are complex and balanced, but what really sets it apart is the texture – every bite has different levels of crunchy vegetables combined with perfectly cooked fluffy grains of rice. It’s
Do you have a story to share about a visit to Accra or Ghana? We would love to hear about it and add it here! Please feel free to comment at the bottom of this page or fill in our contact form.
Frequently Asked Questions About Accra, Ghana
Here at Tuchman Travel Guide, we are always trying to help if you have a question about an upcoming trip that our site does not answer just leave a comment below and we will try to get back in touch ASAP!
- 1. What are the best hotels in Accra?
- 2. Is there a wide range of accommodation options in Accra?
- 3. Can I find budget-friendly hotels in Accra?
- 4. Are there any luxury resorts near Accra?
- 5. Are there activities and attractions to explore while staying in Accra?
1. What are the best hotels in Accra? – Accra is known for its variety of excellent hotels. The Marriott Accra, Kempinski Hotel Gold Coast City, and Labadi Beach Hotel are all luxurious options with modern amenities and stunning views. For a more boutique experience, the Movenpick Ambassador Hotel and Tang Palace Hotel offer unique accommodations in beautiful surroundings. No matter which hotel you choose, you’ll be sure to have an unforgettable stay in Accra!
2. Is there a wide range of accommodation options in Accra? – Yes! There are several all-inclusive resorts near Accra that offer great amenities like beachfront access, swimming pools, spa treatments, and delicious local cuisine. It’s the perfect way to immerse yourself in culture while also having a relaxing vacation.
3. Can I find budget-friendly hotels in Accra? – Yes, there are lots of great restaurants close to the hotels in Accra. Whether you’re looking for a casual meal or something more fine dining, you won’t have to look far to find delicious local cuisine. From traditional Ghanaian dishes and West African flavors to international options like Italian, Chinese and Indian food, there’s something for everyone!
4. Are there any luxury resorts near Accra? – The airport in Accra is conveniently located close to many of the city’s most popular hotels. Depending on traffic, it usually only takes around 20 minutes or so to reach them from the airport.
5. Are there activities and attractions to explore while staying in Accra? – Yes, accommodation in Accra is both affordable and accessible for travelers. There are plenty of hotels that offer great value for money, as well as modern hostels with shared rooms. Alternatively, there are many Airbnb options available throughout the city if you want to experience living like a local!