Bujumbura is the capital of Burundi, a small country in Central Africa. It is situated on the shores of Lake Tanganyika and has many attractions to offer visitors. The most popular landmarks are the Livingstone-Stanley Monument, which commemorates two British explorers who were the first Europeans to cross the continent; Musée Vivant, an ethnographic museum that showcases traditional Burundian culture; and King Mwezi Gisabo Monument, a memorial to one of Burundi’s most famous kings. For those looking for outdoor activities there is Parc National de la Ruvubu
- Overview of Bujumbura
- Place of interest in Bujumbura
- Weather in Bujumbura and Burundi
- Food and Cuisine in Bujumbura and Burundi
- Landmarks and attractions across Burundi
- Hotels in Bujumbura and in Burundi
- Reviews and Stories from Bujumbura
- Popular Questions about Bujumbura
There are so many things to see and do in Bujumbura, Africa we couldn’t list them all but we want to highlight 5 popular places in Bujumbura to give you a feel of the capitol. If you think we have missed anything major or if your favourite thing to do in Bujumbura is missing let us know and we would be happy to add it to our travel guide.
Place of interest in Bujumbura
- Cathedral in Bujumbura
- Ruvubu National Park in Bujumbura
- Rusizi National Park in Bujumbura
- Livingstone-Stanley Monument in Bujumbura
- Muramvya Royal Palacein Bujumbura
Cathedral in Bujumbura – The Cathedral of Bujumbura in Burundi is a stunningly beautiful and awe-inspiring place to visit. Located in the heart of the city, it stands tall and proud atop a hill overlooking the surrounding area. The cathedral was built in 1950 and features an impressive neo-gothic style design with three large towers reaching up into the sky. Inside, visitors can marvel at its intricate stained glass windows which depict scenes from the Bible as well as local legends.
The best time to visit this incredible landmark is during dry season between June and October when temperatures are generally
Ruvubu National Park in Bujumbura – is a stunning natural oasis. Located in the northern part of Burundi, Ruvubu National Park is known for its pristine African savannahs and lush rainforest. Visitors to this park can expect to see diverse wildlife such as elephants, lions, leopards, cheetahs and numerous bird species. It’s also home to two major rivers – the Ruvubu River and the Kagera River – which provide spectacular views from anywhere inside the park. The best time to visit is during dry season (May – Oct) when temperatures are milder and more
Rusizi National Park in Bujumbura – Rusizi National Park is one of the most beautiful parks in East Africa. It is located in the southwestern part of Burundi and overlooks Lake Tanganyika to the west. The park offers a unique experience for visitors, with its pristine environment and abundant wildlife.
The best time to visit Rusizi National Park is during the dry season, which usually runs from June through October. During this period, you can expect plenty of sunshine and warm temperatures that make it ideal for exploring on foot or by boat.
During your visit you will be able to explore numerous trails that wind their way
Livingstone-Stanley Monument in Bujumbura – , is an incredible place to visit. Located on the banks of Lake Tanganyika, this monument pays tribute to two famous explorers: David Livingstone and Henry Morton Stanley.
The best time to visit this historic site is during the dry season from June through August as it offers stunning views of the lake and surrounding countryside. The monument itself consists of a large stone obelisk with a bronze plaque commemorating their momentous meeting in 1871. There are also several interpretive displays that explain the history between these two men, which have been placed around the grounds for visitors to enjoy.
Muramvya Royal Palace in Bujumbura – Muramvya Royal Palace is a beautiful and historic place that you won’t want to miss. It’s located in the heart of Muramvya Province, just south of Bujumbura, the capital city. The palace was built by King Mwezi Gisabo in 1864 and is one of the oldest palaces still standing in Africa today.
The palace has been tastefully restored over time and now visitors can explore its many rooms filled with antiques, armor, weapons, traditional artwork and furniture from centuries past. Some of these pieces date back to as early as the 16th century! One
When booking a holiday in Bujumbura or even Burundi one of the main things to look at is what the weather will be like when you get there. Due to these common weather questions, we have created a separate page talking about what the Whats the weather like in Burundi?. This included a month-by-month breakdown of what the weather is like and questions travellers have had regarding the climate.
The second biggest concern I an my team have when we travel is what will we eat! I am a big foodie and love to try everything I can the more unique the better. If you want to find out more about the type of food and cuisine in Bujumbura and across Burundi check out the Bujumbura food page (Whats the food like in Burundi?)
Landmarks in Burundi
After the weather and food, our attention normally turns to what is there to do in Bujumbura or whats worth visiting in Burundi. We have created a list of landmarks, places or interests and attractions to get your travel journey started – What tourist attractions are in or near Burundi?
Hotels in Burundi
Finally, after reading about Burundi’s weather, food, and tourist destinations, you might want to spend some time reading about the best hotels in Bujumbura and across Burundi. Hotel information is always changing so please let us know if any of our reviews need updating and please feel free to share your stories and reviews from hotels you visit in both Burundi and Bujumbura to help others on their travels. Also, feel to check out our hotel map from Booking.com to quickly find a hotel in Bujumbura
Stories and Reviews from Our Team/Clients in Bujumbura, Burundi
Burundi is a beautiful country full of vibrant culture and delicious food! As a tourist visiting the area, I am thrilled to be able to try some of the local cuisine.
One dish that stands out in particular is brochettes. These tasty treats are essentially kebabs made with chicken or beef marinated in herbs and spices like garlic, pepper, ginger, onion paste, cumin and paprika. Then they’re grilled over an open flame until they’re juicy and flavorful. The meat can also be served on skewers if desired. Brochettes have become popular throughout
Do you have a story to share about a visit to Bujumbura or Burundi? We would love to hear about it and add it here! Please feel free to comment at the bottom of this page or fill in our contact form.
Frequently Asked Questions About Bujumbura, Burundi
Here at Tuchman Travel Guide, we are always trying to help if you have a question about an upcoming trip that our site does not answer just leave a comment below and we will try to get back in touch ASAP!
- 1. What is the best hotel in Bujumbura?
- 2. Are there affordable lodging options near Bujumbura?
- 3. How close are the hotels to attractions in Bujumbura?
- 4. Are there any amenities offered by hotels in Bujumbura?
- 5. What safety measures do the hotels take for their guests in Bujumbura?
1. What is the best hotel in Bujumbura? – When visiting Bujumbura, the best hotels I’ve come across are definitely the Grand Hotel Rwanda and the Sheraton. Both have modern amenities, luxurious rooms and great service. They also offer excellent views of Lake Tanganyika. Plus, their restaurants serve some of the most delicious local specialties around!
2. Are there affordable lodging options near Bujumbura? – Yes, there are some affordable accommodation options near Bujumbura. There are budget-friendly hotels and lodges that offer comfortable rooms at reasonable prices. Many of these places have all the necessary amenities like Wi-Fi, air conditioning, a swimming pool and more. Additionally, there are hostels and guest houses which provide excellent value for money compared to traditional hotels.
3. How close are the hotels to attractions in Bujumbura? – Yes, it’s easy to find transportation from the airport to your hotel in Bujumbura. There are plenty of taxis available for hire at the airport and you can also arrange for an Uber or a shuttle service if you prefer.
4. Are there any amenities offered by hotels in Bujumbura? – Yes, Bujumbura has several luxury hotels to choose from. If you’re looking for a 5-star experience, there are plenty of options that offer luxurious amenities like spa treatments and private pools. You can also find high-end restaurants and lounges located within the hotels so you can enjoy some fine dining during your stay.
5. What safety measures do the hotels take for their guests in Bujumbura? – I’m planning a visit to Bujumbura and I’m looking into booking a hotel room. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about reserving accommodation for my stay?