Honiara, Solomon Islands
Honiara is the capital city of Solomon Islands, a stunning archipelago located in the South Pacific. It’s a vibrant and colourful destination that is filled with unique experiences and attractions to explore. With its lush tropical forests, crystal-clear waters and stunning coral reefs, it’s no wonder Honiara has become one of the most popular tourist destinations in the region. Whether you’re looking for an exciting adventure or a relaxing retreat, there are plenty of amazing places to visit here. From historical landmarks such as World War II sites like Iron Bottom Sound Historic Naval Battle Memorial Park to natural wonders like Mar
- Overview of Honiara
- Place of interest in Honiara
- Weather in Honiara and Solomon Islands
- Food and Cuisine in Honiara and Solomon Islands
- Landmarks and attractions across Solomon Islands
- Hotels in Honiara and in Solomon Islands
- Reviews and Stories from Honiara
- Popular Questions about Honiara
There are so many things to see and do in Honiara, South America we couldn’t list them all but we want to highlight 5 popular places in Honiara to give you a feel of the capitol. If you think we have missed anything major or if your favourite thing to do in Honiara is missing let us know and we would be happy to add it to our travel guide.
Place of interest in Honiara
- Central Market in Honiara
- Marau Sound in Honiara
- Bonegi Beach in Honiara
- Tenaru Falls in Honiara
- Iron Bottom Soundin Honiara
Central Market in Honiara – is an amazing place full of local culture and unique experiences. Located in the center of Honiara on Guadalcanal Island, it is a bustling market with vendors selling everything from tropical fruits to handicrafts and souvenirs. The best time to visit Central Market is early morning when you can experience the vibrant energy of locals doing business, before the midday heat sets in. You’ll find street food stalls serving up delicious dishes like coconut curry chicken and traditional Solomon Islands favorites like sashimi, as well as fresh fruit juices prepared right in front of you. There are also plenty of shops where
Marau Sound in Honiara – is a beautiful natural attraction. The sound is located in the western part of Guadalcanal, surrounded by lush jungle and crystal clear waters. It features an incredible array of marine life including dolphins, manta rays, sea turtles and reef sharks – making it a paradise for snorkeling and diving enthusiasts!
The best time to visit Marau Sound is between April to October when temperatures are milder and ocean visibility is at its peak. During these months you can also take advantage of the calm seas which make it easier to explore the surrounding reefs and islands. If you’re lucky
Bonegi Beach in Honiara – Bonegi Beach is a popular tourist destination and well worth visiting. Located on the shores of Iron Bottom Sound, it’s just a short drive from the capital city. The beach itself is stunning, with white sand and crystal clear turquoise waters. It’s perfect for swimming, snorkeling or simply relaxing in the sun.
The best time to visit Bonegi Beach is during the dry season when temperatures are at their highest (December – April). During this period, you’ll be able to take full advantage of its many attractions without having to worry about rain or strong winds. There are plenty
Tenaru Falls in Honiara – is a stunning attraction. Located about 30 minutes away from the capital, Tenaru Falls are made up of two cascading waterfalls that plunge into a deep pool. The best time to visit this beautiful landmark is during the wet season when the falls are at their fullest and most powerful.
The view from the top of the falls offers visitors breathtaking panoramic views, with lush rainforest on one side and vast blue ocean on another. You can take a dip in its cool waters or simply sit back and enjoy nature’s beauty while listening to birdsong and gentle rushing water.
Iron Bottom Sound in Honiara – Iron Bottom Sound is a must-see destination for travelers looking to explore the South Pacific. Located in the Solomon Sea, it’s known as one of the most stunning and historically significant sites in all of Oceania. The area is home to numerous sunken ships from World War II that are visible just beneath the surface of its crystal blue waters, making it an idyllic spot for snorkeling and swimming.
The best time to visit Iron Bottom Sound is during dry season, which runs from May through October when there’s less chance of rain and calmer seas. During this
Weather Solomon Islands
When booking a holiday in Honiara or even Solomon Islands one of the main things to look at is what the weather will be like when you get there. Due to these common weather questions, we have created a separate page talking about what the Whats the weather like in Solomon Islands?. This included a month-by-month breakdown of what the weather is like and questions travellers have had regarding the climate.
Food Solomon Islands
The second biggest concern I an my team have when we travel is what will we eat! I am a big foodie and love to try everything I can the more unique the better. If you want to find out more about the type of food and cuisine in Honiara and across Solomon Islands check out the Honiara food page (Whats the food like in Solomon Islands?)
Landmarks in Solomon Islands
After the weather and food, our attention normally turns to what is there to do in Honiara or whats worth visiting in Solomon Islands. We have created a list of landmarks, places or interests and attractions to get your travel journey started – What tourist attractions are in or near Solomon Islands?
Hotels in Solomon Islands
Finally, after reading about Solomon Islands’s weather, food, and tourist destinations, you might want to spend some time reading about the best hotels in Honiara and across Solomon Islands. Hotel information is always changing so please let us know if any of our reviews need updating and please feel free to share your stories and reviews from hotels you visit in both Solomon Islands and Honiara to help others on their travels. Also, feel to check out our hotel map from Booking.com to quickly find a hotel in Honiara
Stories and Reviews from Our Team/Clients in Honiara, Solomon Islands
Solomon Islands is a paradise for food lovers. Everywhere I go, the locals are touting their unique dishes and specialties.
The first thing that caught my eye was something called kakamora pavlova – a dessert made of meringue, cream and fresh fruit layered together. On the outside it looks like an ordinary cake, but cut into it and you’ll be pleasantly surprised by its fluffy texture inside. The combination of sweet-tartness from the fruits is just heavenly!
Another local delicacy I had to try was tinapa – dried fish with coconut milk
Do you have a story to share about a visit to Honiara or Solomon Islands? We would love to hear about it and add it here! Please feel free to comment at the bottom of this page or fill in our contact form.
Frequently Asked Questions About Honiara, Solomon Islands
Here at Tuchman Travel Guide, we are always trying to help if you have a question about an upcoming trip that our site does not answer just leave a comment below and we will try to get back in touch ASAP!
- 1. Are there affordable hotels close to downtown Honiara?
- 2. Is the accommodation in Honiara comfortable and clean?
- 3. How safe is it to stay in a hotel in Honiara?
- 4. What types of amenities are offered at Honiara’s hotels?
- 5. Are there any special deals available on hotel stays in Honiara?
1. Are there affordable hotels close to downtown Honiara? – Yes, there are several hotels near the waterfront in Honiara. I noticed a few when I was walking along the harbor and they all looked really nice. The views from some of them were absolutely stunning – you could see the sun setting over the ocean while sitting on your balcony!
2. Is the accommodation in Honiara comfortable and clean? – Yes, Honiara has plenty of hotels to choose from that offer great amenities! Many have beautiful outdoor pools so you can cool off after a day sightseeing in the tropical heat. There are also lots of spas and restaurants for you to enjoy during your stay.
3. How safe is it to stay in a hotel in Honiara? – If you’re looking for a place to stay in Honiara that has great reviews from travelers, there are some really nice hotels to choose from! The Heritage Park Hotel is known for providing luxurious accommodations and excellent customer service. It’s conveniently located close to the main city center as well. Another popular hotel option is the Mendana Hotel, which offers comfortable rooms with stunning views of the harbor. And finally, if you’re looking for something more budget-friendly but still comfortable, then I’d recommend checking out Pacific Casino Hotel – it gets consistently high ratings from visitors!
4. What types of amenities are offered at Honiara’s hotels? – Yes, absolutely! There are plenty of budget-friendly accommodation options in Honiara. From charming guesthouses to cozy hostels, you can find a place to stay that fits your budget without sacrificing on comfort and quality. Plus, many local businesses offer discounts and special deals for tourists so make sure to ask around when looking for an affordable option.
5. Are there any special deals available on hotel stays in Honiara? – Yes, there are several luxurious resorts and boutique hotels near the city centre of Honiara. They offer stunning views, modern amenities and excellent service. Whether you’re looking for an intimate getaway or a family-friendly adventure, these accommodations provide something special for every traveler.