Local Food and Cuisine in Ghana
Ghanais an exciting place to explore the depths of its unique and delicious cuisine. From hearty stews filled with fresh vegetables, to light fish dishes flavored with local spices, Ghana has something for everyone! Whether you’re a foodie looking for something new, or just someone who loves trying different foods, you’ll be sure to find plenty of delectable treats in this West African country.
- Introduction of Food in Ghana
- Must try Local Cuisine in Ghana (Top 5)
- Weather in Ghana
- Hotels Ghana
- Reviews and Stories from Ghana
- About Accra the capitol of Ghana
- Popular Questions about Ghana’s local dishes
There are so many things types of amazing food in Ghana, Africa we couldn’t list them all but we want to highlight 5 popular dishes from Ghana to give you a feel of what to expect. If you think we have missed anything major or if your favourite local food is not in the list let us know and we would be happy to add it to our travel guide.
Popular Foods in Ghana
- Jollof Rice in Ghana
- Red Red Stew in Ghana
- Waakye Stew in Ghana
- Kontomire Stew in Ghana
- Banku and Tilapia in Ghana
Jollof Rice in Ghana – Jollof Rice is a beloved West African staple made of long grain rice, tomatoes and tomato paste, onion, garlic and ginger. It has an unmistakable flavor that is both savory and slightly sweet. Aromatic spices like thyme, bay leaves and nutmeg add to the unique taste, making it a favorite among many cultures around the world. Jollof Rice has been served for centuries at special events such as weddings or holidays as well as everyday meals. Its popularity spans generations; from children who love its comforting flavors to adults who appreciate its deep cultural significance in their native land.
Red Red Stew in Ghana – is a hearty West African dish typically made with tomatoes, onions, and spices. It has a rich flavor that includes the sweetness of tomatoes and the heat of freshly ground pepper. Red Red Stew is traditionally served over boiled plantains or rice to make it more filling. This popular Ghanaian meal dates back centuries, often being cooked in large clay pots over open fires or on outdoor stoves. The stew can be customized by adding vegetables like carrots or potatoes, as well as different types of proteins such as chicken, beef, fish or tofu – so everyone can find something they enjoy!
Waakye Stew in Ghana – is a traditional West Indian dish made from a combination of ground split peas, onions, garlic and Scotch Bonnet peppers. It’s an incredibly flavorful mix that has been popular for generations in the Caribbean. The sweet-spicy taste of the gateaux piment will be sure to tantalize your taste buds! In addition to its delicious flavor, it carries cultural significance within many West Indian communities as well – some families pass down recipes for this dish as part of their heritage!
Kontomire Stew in Ghana – is an African dish that is beloved by many. It has a unique flavor and texture, often described as creamy and slightly spicy. The main ingredients are yams or cassava leaves cooked with palm oil, onions, garlic, ginger and chilli peppers. Kontomire Stew has been around for centuries in certain regions of Africa; it is considered to be a traditional food that connects people to their heritage. The stew can be served over rice or fufu, adding even more variety to the taste experience!
Banku and Tilapia in Ghana – is a traditional Ghanaian dish enjoyed by many. This delicious meal is made with fermented corn dough, called banku, and grilled Tilapia fish. The fermentation of the corn gives Banku a sour flavor while the Tilapia offers some savory elements in this unique pairing. This delightful dish can be served with pepper or okra stew for an extra kick of flavor! Known to have been around since the 15th century, enjoying this delicacy is sure to bring you closer to Ghana’s heritage and culture. Plus, it’s healthy too!
When booking a holiday in Ghana one of the main things to look at is what the weather will be like when you get there. Due to these common weather questions, we have created a separate page talking about what the Whats the weather like in Ghana?. This included a month-by-month breakdown of what the weather is like and questions travellers have had regarding the climate.
LANDMARKS IN Ghana
After the weather and food, our attention normally turns to what is there to do in Ghana or what’s worth visiting. We have created a list of landmarks, places or interests and attractions to get your travel journey started – What tourist attractions are in or near Ghana?
Hotels in Ghana
Finally, after reading about Ghana’s weather, food, and tourist destinations, you might want to spend some time reading about the best hotels in Ghana. Hotel information is always changing so please let us know if any of our reviews need updating and please feel free to share your stories and reviews from hotels you visit in both Ghana to help others on their travels. Also, feel to check out our hotel map from Booking.com to quickly find a hotel in Ghana
The Capitol of Ghana is Accra
When heading off to a country for the first time it’s always a good idea to read up on the capital city. and we have prepared a short guide about the captiol Accra to get you started.
Stories and Reviews from Our Team/Clients in Ghana
Ghana is a beautiful country, and one of the best parts about visiting is the incredible food. As soon as I arrived, I knew that this was going to be an amazing trip!
The first dish I tried was a traditional Ghanaian favorite – jollof rice with chicken. It’s made from tomatoes, onions, peppers and spices cooked in oil along with basmati or long grain rice. The flavors are complex and balanced, but what really sets it apart is the texture – every bite has different levels of crunchy vegetables combined with perfectly cooked fluffy grains of rice. It’s
Do you have a story to share about a visit to Accra or Ghana? We would love to hear about it and add it here! Please feel free to comment at the bottom of this page or fill in our contact form.
Frequently Asked Questions About Accra, Ghana
Here at Tuchman Travel Guide, we are always trying to help if you have a question about an upcoming trip that our site does not answer just leave a comment below and we will try to get back in touch ASAP!
- 1. What traditional dishes are served here?
- 2. Is the food spiced to suit all tastes?
- 3. Are there vegetarian and vegan options available?
- 4. What type of preparation methods are used for the meals?
- 5. Does this restaurant source ingredients locally whenever possible? ?
1. What traditional dishes are served here? – I’m so excited to try some of the traditional dishes here! I’ve heard there’s a lot of variety and a huge range of flavors. I’m looking forward to sampling all kinds of local specialties, like savory stews, spicy curries, or perhaps even succulent barbecued meats. Whatever it is that they serve here, I know it’ll be delicious!
2. Is the food spiced to suit all tastes? – Yes, the local food here is definitely spiced to suit all tastes. You can find dishes with mild spice or bolder flavors depending on what you’re in the mood for. The chefs really know how to bring out the best of each ingredient while also making sure that everyone’s taste buds are happy!
3. Are there vegetarian and vegan options available? – Yes, there are plenty of vegetarian and vegan options available here! Many restaurants offer delicious plant-based dishes made with fresh local ingredients. There’s something for everyone, so it’s a great place to try out some new flavors.
4. What type of preparation methods are used for the meals? – The locals here really know how to bring out the flavors of their meals! It’s amazing to see the variety in preparation methods used. Everything from grilling, baking, and even slow-cooking over an open fire is employed throughout. Every dish has its own unique cooking technique that makes it stand out.
5. Does this restaurant source ingredients locally whenever possible? ? – Yes, this restaurant prides itself on using the freshest ingredients from local sources whenever possible. Everything is so flavorful and you can really taste the freshness in each bite!