Lilongwe, the capital of Malawi, is steeped in rich culture and history. Located in central Malawi, it’s surrounded by beautiful natural scenery with a variety of attractions to explore. The National Museum showcases the nation’s archaeological finds, while the Lilongwe Wildlife Centre boasts an impressive array of wildlife such as lions, elephants and rhinos. Nature lovers can take a trip up Mount Mulanje for spectacular views or head over to Lake Malawi for some beachside relaxation. With its vibrant markets and lively street life there are plenty of places to shop or sample local cuisine like ndi
- Overview of Lilongwe
- Place of interest in Lilongwe
- Weather in Lilongwe and Malawi
- Food and Cuisine in Lilongwe and Malawi
- Landmarks and attractions across Malawi
- Hotels in Lilongwe and in Malawi
- Reviews and Stories from Lilongwe
- Popular Questions about Lilongwe
There are so many things to see and do in Lilongwe, Africa we couldn’t list them all but we want to highlight 5 popular places in Lilongwe to give you a feel of the capitol. If you think we have missed anything major or if your favourite thing to do in Lilongwe is missing let us know and we would be happy to add it to our travel guide.
Place of interest in Lilongwe
- City Centre in Lilongwe
- Vwaza Marsh Wildlife Reserve in Lilongwe
- Mua Mission in Lilongwe
- Malawi National Museum of History and Culture in Lilongwe
- Lake Malawi National Parkin Lilongwe
City Centre in Lilongwe – is an exciting place to explore. Located in the heart of the capital city, it is home to a variety of attractions, shops and restaurants that serve traditional local cuisine. It’s best to visit in the daytime when you can experience the vibrant atmosphere with locals going about their daily lives. There are many interesting sites including a beautiful botanical garden, several national monuments and memorials as well as various art galleries showcasing contemporary Malawian art. The City Centre also boasts a popular market where you can find all kinds of souvenirs and handicrafts made by local artisans. The area is well connected
Vwaza Marsh Wildlife Reserve in Lilongwe – is a must-see for any nature lover. Located in the northern part of Malawi, this reserve covers an area of 573 square kilometres and offers a unique and diverse range of wildlife viewing opportunities. The reserve includes various habitats such as marshes, rivers, forests and swamps that attract many different species including elephants, giraffes, crocodiles and lions.
The best time to visit Vwaza Marsh Wildlife Reserve is during the wet season from October to April when animals are drawn to the abundant water sources due to lack of rainfall elsewhere in Malawi. During this period you can
Mua Mission in Lilongwe – Mua Mission is a fascinating landmark that is steeped in history and culture. Located in the city center, Mua Mission stands as a reminder of Malawi’s past and a beacon for its future. Visitors to this historic site will find many interesting attractions such as the main mission building, several beautiful gardens and an archaeological museum.
Mua Mission was built by Scottish missionaries over 200 years ago and has served as an important spot for religious ceremonies ever since. For those interested in exploring the area’s cultural heritage, there are plenty of opportunities to do so at Mua Mission with guided tours available
Malawi National Museum of History and Culture in Lilongwe – is a beautiful place to explore the history and culture of this diverse nation. Located in the capital city of Lilongwe, it provides visitors with an educational experience about Malawi’s fascinating past. The museum is home to many artifacts that showcase Malawian traditions, including handmade jewelry and traditional clothing pieces. It also has several interactive exhibits that give visitors the opportunity to learn more about life in Malawi through its various periods of time. Additionally, there are plenty of activities for younger travelers such as a puppet show and other performances from local artists.
The best time to visit the museum
Lake Malawi National Park in Lilongwe – Lake Malawi National Park is a breathtaking landmark that offers visitors the chance to explore some of Africa’s most unique wildlife. Nestled in the heart of Malawi, this national park stretches along Lake Malawi and boasts an abundance of incredible sights, sounds and species.
The best time to visit Lake Malawi National Park is during the dry season from May through October when temperatures are mild and comfortable for outdoor activities. The lake itself is home to hundreds of different fish species, including cichlids which can be found swimming amongst its beautiful coral reefs. Visitors will have plenty to do here as they explore hiking trails
When booking a holiday in Lilongwe or even Malawi one of the main things to look at is what the weather will be like when you get there. Due to these common weather questions, we have created a separate page talking about what the Whats the weather like in Malawi?. This included a month-by-month breakdown of what the weather is like and questions travellers have had regarding the climate.
The second biggest concern I an my team have when we travel is what will we eat! I am a big foodie and love to try everything I can the more unique the better. If you want to find out more about the type of food and cuisine in Lilongwe and across Malawi check out the Lilongwe food page (Whats the food like in Malawi?)
Landmarks in Malawi
After the weather and food, our attention normally turns to what is there to do in Lilongwe or whats worth visiting in Malawi. We have created a list of landmarks, places or interests and attractions to get your travel journey started – What tourist attractions are in or near Malawi?
Hotels in Malawi
Finally, after reading about Malawi’s weather, food, and tourist destinations, you might want to spend some time reading about the best hotels in Lilongwe and across Malawi. Hotel information is always changing so please let us know if any of our reviews need updating and please feel free to share your stories and reviews from hotels you visit in both Malawi and Lilongwe to help others on their travels. Also, feel to check out our hotel map from Booking.com to quickly find a hotel in Lilongwe
Stories and Reviews from Our Team/Clients in Lilongwe, Malawi
Malawi is a small landlocked country in Africa, and it has some of the most delicious food I’ve ever tasted. From the street vendors to the restaurants, there’s something for everyone.
One of my favorite foods from Malawi is nsima – a thick cornmeal porridge that can be served with almost any type of meat or vegetable. It’s smooth and creamy with just the right amount of sweetness. The locals often eat it for breakfast or lunch, but I find myself enjoying it throughout the day!
Malawians also love their fish dishes. One popular dish is ch
Do you have a story to share about a visit to Lilongwe or Malawi? We would love to hear about it and add it here! Please feel free to comment at the bottom of this page or fill in our contact form.
Frequently Asked Questions About Lilongwe, Malawi
Here at Tuchman Travel Guide, we are always trying to help if you have a question about an upcoming trip that our site does not answer just leave a comment below and we will try to get back in touch ASAP!
1. What are the best hotels in Lilongwe?
- 2. Are there any luxury accommodations available near Lilongwe?
- 3. Is there a hotel with a pool and spa services near Lilongwe?
- 4. Are there any budget-friendly hotels in the area?
- 5. Does the city have any family-friendly accommodation options?
1. What are the best hotels in Lilongwe? – Lilongwe is a wonderful place to visit, and there are plenty of great hotels to choose from. Some of the most popular accommodations in the city include the Sunbird Capital Hotel, which offers luxurious amenities and stunning views; The Golden Peacock Lodge, where you can enjoy modern facilities and friendly staff; or Bingu Wa Mutharika International Convention Center for those looking for a more affordable stay. No matter what your budget or preferences, Lilongwe has something that will suit your needs!
2. Are there any luxury accommodations available near Lilongwe? – These hotels offer a wide range of amenities to make your stay as comfortable and convenient as possible. From complimentary breakfast, high-speed Wi-Fi, fitness centers with modern equipment, swimming pools and on-site spa treatments – you’ll find everything you need for a restful and enjoyable stay.
3. Is there a hotel with a pool and spa services near Lilongwe? – I’m looking for the best areas to stay in while visiting Lilongwe. I’ve heard that it’s an amazing city with lots of attractions, so I want to make sure that I get a great spot that is close to all the action! Which neighborhoods offer the most convenient access to local attractions, restaurants, and nightlife?
4. Are there any budget-friendly hotels in the area? – I’m looking for a place to stay in Lilongwe that won’t break the bank. Are there any budget-friendly lodging options available?
5. Does the city have any family-friendly accommodation options? – I’m planning a visit to Lilongwe and I’m wondering how long is the typical hotel stay here? Are people usually in town for just a few days or are there extended stays? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.